Privacy Policy

Cheshire West and Chester Virtual School – Our commitment to your privacy.

Your trust is important to us. So we want you to know we’ve updated our Privacy Notice to explain how we store and handle your personal data.

Who Will Own My Data Once I Submit It?

Cheshire West and Chester Council, Virtual School.

Why Do You Need My Information?

We process personal data because it is necessary in order to comply with the Authority’s legal obligations and to enable us to perform tasks carried out in the public interest. The information you provide will ensure that we provide you or your child with appropriate services.

We use your personal data to ensure that we are able to carry out specific functions for which we have statutory responsibilities. These may include:

  • To support children and young people known to our service and monitor their progress through the termly PEP and Welfare Call
  • To assess any home travel assistance to Virtual School activities
  • To assess the quality of our services
  • To evaluate and improve our policies
  • To track the progress of our young people using the systems integrated into the Local Authority

What Allows You To Use My Information?

We collect and process information to deliver our statutory duties towards children and young people who are looked after and care leavers. We exercise these responsibilities under Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulations, which allows the local authority to collect / process information where our task as a public body is laid down by law.

The legislation, policies and guidance that relates to children and young people who are looked after or care leavers includes, but is not limited to:

  • Promoting the education of looked-after children and previously looked-after children – Statutory Guidance 2018
  • The designated teacher for looked-after and previously looked after children – Statutory Guidance 2018
  • Children’s Social Care Act – 2014
  • The Children and Families Act 2014 (Transitional and Saving Provisions)(No 2) Order 2014

Who Will My Information Be Shared With?

The Virtual School Handbook requires that we liaise with partner agencies, including health, educational establishments and Social Care to collate information about a child or young person’s circumstance.

To facilitate this sharing and collection of information, local protocols for information collection and management known as Data Sharing agreements are in place with all relevant partner agencies.

We will not give information about you to anyone outside Cheshire West and Chester Council without your consent unless required to do so by law in delivering our statutory functions, or such actions are necessary for safeguarding children or to deliver the services which you have requested.

When we share information with other public authorities we do so as part of our duties, powers and responsibilities as a public authority under the guidance within the Virtual School Code of Practice (2015). We may pass information to:

  • internal departments
  • other local authorities (education, social care and relevant housing and employment and other services)
  • schools, colleges or other education providers
  • early years providers in the maintained, private, voluntary and independent sectors that are funded by the local authority
  • the National Health Service Commissioning Board
  • NHS Trusts
  • NHS Foundation Trusts
  • Youth Offending Teams and relevant youth custodial establishments
  • Other third-party organisations, as allowed by law
  • Other partner agencies that provide services on our behalf

Your information will be used to produce statistics and analyse the service we provide. It will also allow us to make informed decisions, for example, the funding of services or to assess the performance of children in care and care leavers. In most cases this information will be depersonalised and will not identify you. We will therefore use your information to:

  • Audit how well our services are meeting needs.
  • Improve service planning and customer experience.
  • Share depersonalised statistical data locally (within our organisation or with partners) and nationally with the Department for Education. This data sharing helps to develop national policies, manage local authority performance, administer and allocate funding and identify and encourage good practice.
  • Where you may be known to both education and social services, your personal data will be held on both departments electronic systems

Do I Have To Provide This Information And What Will Happen If I Don’t?

The lawful basis upon which we process personal data is that it is necessary in order to comply with our legal obligations and to enable it to perform tasks carried out in the public interest. However, where personal data is solely processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent.

We are required to discuss with you what information you are happy for us to share with other agencies. We keep your personal information secure so that unauthorised persons do not have access to it, so far as reasonably practicable.

How Long Will You Keep My Data For And Why?

We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law. Your information will be held for 75 years as you have been a child in care to the Local Authority.

How Will My Information Be Stored?

Your personal information will be stored on a secure electronic data systems operated by the council.

We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law.

Will This Information Be Used To Take Automated Decisions About Me?

No automated decisions will be made using the information you provide.

Will My Data Be Transferred Abroad and Why?

No, your information is not transferred abroad. If you moved abroad and requested that information be sent to the new education authority or educational institution, we would arrange for it to be sent provided you give written consent.

What Rights Do I Have When It Comes To My Data?

Under data protection legislation once you reach the age of 18, you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you.

Requesting access to your personal data

You have the right under the Data Protection Act 1998 (General Data Protection Regulation) to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is known as a subject access request.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form from and send it to:

Phil Orchard
Data Protection Officer
Nicholas Street

Who Can I Complain To If I Am Unhappy About How The Data Is Used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to:

Phil Orchard
Data Protection Officer
Nicholas Street

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Privacy Policy   |